My First FringeNYC Adventure Part 2.

So, My First FringeNYC Adventure Part 2! If you’re just joining me, you can read Part I here.

One of the things I’m noticing now, going back through all of my files, is that I don’t have many pictures from this trip. Heartbreaking, really. So, for now I’m getting creative, and soon I’m going to reach out to friends and family to see if anyone else has pictures. Because, this was really a special event, and I’d love to have more to remember it by. Anyhow, on with the story.

August 31st, 2010

Well, I promised daily updates and that didn’t *quite* happen. The festival certainly managed to keep me quite busy. However, I do want to keep up with recapping each day of the festival for you, so I’m going to do an entry a day until all 10 days of the trip are re-told here.

Anyhow, back to the story at hand. I passed out on the couch while checking Facebook Saturday night/Sunday morning at about 3:30am. I woke up around 10:30 to my phone going off. Erin, our stage manager and Sean, our director, were downstairs outside the building and trying to get in. It was pouring rain out. I ran down the 4 flights of stairs in my PJs and let them in. They had come in on a red eye that morning with Jen Bailey (Diz) and Corwin, our sound designer. Jen and Corwin had headed off to where they were crashing in the Lower East Side after claiming their bags, reaching their destination without incident. Not so for my fearless SM and Director. They had apparently gotten dropped off by a shuttle in Queens and had WALKED all the way from there to our place in Greenpoint in the pouring rain.

They got settled upstairs, and I passed out again on the couch. I woke up at 2:30 to find a note on the table next to me that they’d gone to lunch with Erin’s step-sister and step-brother-in-law and that they’d be back with the costumes and props for the show. Stephanie and Paul had been kind enough to let us send our props and costumes on ahead to their place, and they’d generously been holding the packages us for about a week.

I was planning on seeing Trick Boxing at 4:15 in the city, but decided against it. Honestly, I was kind of indignant at the rain. It’s weird, I’m just so used to it raining about 25 days a year in LA that I forget the rest of the country gets it on a far more regular basis. So, I wimped out and decided instead to take a leisurely shower, check e-mail and figure out where we could get a table to use in the show. One shower later, Erin and Sean return with Paul, Stephanie and all of the costumes and props in tow. At least I had pants on when they walked in.

They stuck around for a couple of minutes and we made small talk. All the while, I’m trying to find a shirt to throw on over my tank top. Paul & Stephanie left (far too soon! Wish we could have hung out longer), and the three of us chatted about what to do with the rest of the day. I told them that I was bummed they went to lunch without me. They told me they tried to wake me up, but apparently I was dead to the world. They said I was rattling the walls with my snoring. Lovely. Anyway, Sean was tired and wanted to chill for the evening, so Erin and I headed out to get a folding table, paint for “the prop” (the new nickname for our rubber gun) and our Fringe Participant Passes.

By the time we got downstairs, it was about 4:30 in the afternoon (still, only 1:30 California time) and I realized that I hadn’t eaten since the night before. Erin and I stopped at the pizza place on the corner for a slice and a soda. While we were eating, Erin got a message that nearly sent her into a panic – Ryan and Jay (our Bryan and Jesse) had called saying that I’d screwed up their plane reservations and that they’d wound up in Rochester, not JFK.

She’s explaining the message to me as she’s dialing Ryan back, so I immediately start looking up their flight itinerary on my phone. Ryan picks up. Erin says “Greg’s right here, let me put him on the phone so he can talk to you.”

I didn’t hear exactly what was said on the other end, but there was an explosion of chatter and suddenly Erin starts laughing. I stop what I’m doing and look at her. She wraps up the call and tells me, “Ryan says Jay made him leave that message.”

“So, are they at JFK?”

“No. They’re in Rochester.”

“What the hell are they doing in Rochester? I didn’t send them to Rochester.”

“They’re refueling. They couldn’t land because of the weather, so they got re-routed. They’re on standby for the next flight to JFK.”

Great. So, two of my actors are stranded upstate until the weather clears.

“So, what can we do about this?”

“Well, do you want to rent a car and go get them?”


“Then we wait for them.”

“Do they think they’ll get here tonight?”

“They said no later than tomorrow morning.”

Okay, so there was a chance they’d miss our tech now, but I was fairly confident that they’d make it in that night. However, if they didn’t, I had a rental car on standby, ready to drive to Rochester that night to pick them up. Thankfully, it didn’t come to that.

So, we finish our meal enjoying a good laugh at this latest logistical nightmare. I shot Ryan a few text messages about how I was too young to have a heart attack like that and to call me as soon as they knew what the deal was with that night. We headed into the city.

First stop was Home Depot, where we picked up two spray cans of Plasti-Dip and I got harassed by a Yankee fan for my Mets hat (oh, the irony). From there, we ran down to FringeCENTRAL, where we discovered that our participant badges were, in fact, still not ready yet. Well, crap. I was told I could pick them up Monday at my ACR Box Office Training. Fair enough. It was getting late and we were starting to worry about what to do about a table. We checked out some office supply stores, but none of the places had what we were looking for in stock. We returned home with only one of three goals accomplished. Frustrating.

Sean was more than a little concerned by our lack of table when we got back to FLT HQ in Greenpoint, but Erin and I had hatched a plan on the train heading home. Since I wasn’t particularly crucial to the running of the show, I’d find a store online that night that I could go to in the morning and buy a table from while the cast and crew were re-blocking entrances and exits and figuring out the lighting situation. Not a great plan, but a plan nonetheless. Bonus: Sean forgot all about the table situation when we told him Ryan and Jay were in Rochester.

The three of us rolled back out into the night, searching for a place for dinner. We settled on a nice looking Italian restaurant just a few blocks from our apartment (an interesting joint where if you wanted a glass of wine, you actually had to Bring Your Own Bottle). We sat down, had a nice meal and talked about the upcoming week. Honestly, the three of us couldn’t have been more excited! I don’t think any of us imagined a year ago that we’d be here, now. Not at all. We’d been working on various incarnations of this show for the previous fourteen months (the World Premiere was cast back in June ’09, and the show didn’t open until September after an intense revision process). This was going to be the fourth production of the show in a year. Crazy.

We finally got notice that Jay and Ryan were at JFK, just waiting on their bags. Poor guys; they’d been traveling for over 12 hours straight on what was supposed to be the shortest, easiest trip I’d booked for anyone. We got confirmation that they both had gotten to where they were staying without further difficulty and that we’d see them in the morning. So, crisis averted.

The rain was coming down in sheets. We lingered at the restaurant for a while, hoping it would lighten up. No such luck. We cruised back home in the downpour and headed for bed. Sean crashed out on the air mattress we’d packed along. I got the couch (again, and in spite of my multiple offers to switch with Sean). Erin was in the bed up in the loft. Sleep came quickly. The next morning, even quicker.